Eddie’s Story & Volunteer Experience

Eddie’s Story & Volunteer Experience

We at the Rheumatoid Patient Foundation believe that our personal stories are powerful tools of education and inspiration. We have asked several of our volunteers to share a part of their journey and volunteer experience with us after joining us at the American College of Rheumatology Annual Meeting. If you are interested in sharing part of your story, please click here.

Eddie Franklin - Volunteer Experience at ACR 2018

I had a fantastic time at the ACR. I did not realize that there were so many people who have Rheumatoid Disease, along with so many Rheumatologists and prescription drugs. I thought this was going to be somewhat local, maybe in a tri-state area. To see all of the rheumatologists from all over the world was amazing to me. It was very educational to learn that Rheumatoid is a Disease and not just Arthritis. Besides finding out that RD affects joints, but also tendons, ligaments, bones and muscles. I did not really understand this.

It was fun talking with the doctors, drug companies, and anyone else related to Rheumatoid Disease. Anita (my wife) and I enjoyed explaining what the Rheumatoid Patient Foundation was, that I have RD, and getting them to sign up for a free copy of [RPF Founder] Kelly’s book (Rheumatoid Arthritis Unmasked) and/or a poster for their offices. It was a great learning experience.



Eddie's Story:

My name is Eddie Franklin. I am blessed to be married to Anita for a little over 12 years, I have two step children, Jonathan and Dana, along with two grandboys, Gary and Clark. I live in a small farming community in Charlotte, MI. My wife and I enjoy motorcycles, the S.O.A.R. motorcycle ministry which we are proud to be members of, along with serving the Lord whenever possible. We love beach vacations when we can get away.

I was officially diagnosed with Rheumatoid Disease about four years ago, maybe a little longer, but I need to back my story up just a little. I was involved in a serious car accident back in February, 1986. I have been suffering with a Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), along with Seizures. I have developed different medical problems ever since. About eleven years ago, while living in Livonia, MI, my joints started swelling and really hurting. I was in a tremendous amount of pain. My fingers and ankles really started to bother me. I was taking between 6 to 8 Aleve a day. I needed something for the pain. I thought it had something to do with my car accident.

My wife talked with her daughter Dana, my stepdaughter, who has RD. She recommended her rheumatologist when she lived in the area. I went and he did the typical tests and said I did not have Rheumatoid Arthritis. He told me not to take too many more of the Aleve a day because it could eventually hurt my stomach. All I know is that there was something wrong.

As days went by, I was feeling worse. My hands, feet, ankles, knees, and hips were all starting to hurt. Again, I just thought this was from my car accident. It was difficult for me because I was having problems holding up my motorcycle. I dropped it a few times. My ankles just wouldn’t let me hold it up. I was starting to think I was going to have to give up on one of my true passions, riding. We have since moved to Charlotte, MI. The problems in my joints were hurting me really badly. Some of my fingers are bent and my joints hurt. Sometimes my hands even go numb. Again, Anita talked with Dana about my problem. She said that I have RA. That it can go undiagnosed in the blood work. She recommended her doctor in Grand Rapids. He agreed with Dana, that I had RA.

He started giving me methotrexate and prednisone. After 3–4 weeks, I could not believe the difference. I had movement in my joints, something I haven't been able to do without pain. Do I still have pain, yes, but not near as much. About 4 months later, the methotrexate was not working like it did. My doctor changed my medication to Humira. This time it worked for over 7 to 8 months, maybe a little longer. When it slowed down working, he changed it to Enbrel. Again, maybe 7 to 8 months and I still started to have pain. Now I am on Orencia. I still suffer with pain, but it seems to be working.

I am grateful to the Rheumatoid Patient Foundation. I just did not realize the meaning of Rheumatoid Disease. I learned that arthritis is just one part of the disease. After working at the ACR in Chicago, I feel I am starting to be better educated on RD and now if I have any questions or want to share my experiences, I can.

I am thankful to my wife Anita and stepdaughter Dana. Both are very intelligent women who do their homework. They do not take no for an answer. Do I still ride my motorcycle and serve in the S.O.A.R. motorcycle ministry? Yes I do. I did have to switch from two wheels to three. But, even though I am still in some pain, I am able to serve the Lord.

Share this post

Start typing and press Enter to search

Shopping Cart
Thank you! Your subscription has been confirmed. You'll hear from us soon.
E-mail Newsletter Sign-Up
The Rheumatoid Patient Foundation is a volunteer-run non-profit organization. We rely on people like you to accomplish our goals and mission. Find out how you can help!